Whether you are a James Bond fanatic or a fan of the Oceans movies, movies about casinos and gambling are something unique! Even in the world of regulated gambling, these films show the glamor that one can feel in a casino. You often finish watching one of these movies and are ready to play roulette! Let’s watch some of the best gaming movies.
Why are gambling movies so popular?
Read more: Here are 5 of the best blackjack scenes to ever film in Hollywood
Game movies are very popular, and directors are continually making new movies. Here’s why :
- Represent a luxurious lifestyle – Gambling movies are a way to experience an exciting lifestyle that is far from the mundane life of ordinary people. They show off luxury goods such as designer dresses, tuxedos and luxury cars.
- Memorable characters – These films are loved by all who see them. Many of these characters come from a dark and troubled past that many of us can relate to. In the sense that they have all experienced difficulties at some point in their lives, it makes their life very real. They have found ways and means to succeed in the cold, drab city. The dialogues of these memorable characters are often recalled over and over again. We still remember the role of Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.
- Powerful stories – Game movies have very deep storylines that aren’t just a bunch of twists and turns. They are often well written to provide the audience with a real experience and include elements of entertainment. They look gorgeous on screen and draw a lot of people to theaters to witness the intricate storylines and hear the well-written dialogue.
- Extravagant filming locations – These films are aesthetically stunning and extremely exuberant. They are shot in exotic locations and feature the natives of these regions. They also have an authentic feel, which allows viewers to experience these places from the comfort of their own homes.
- Different genres – Another attraction for the gaming movies you love and appreciate is their versatility. They can accommodate all genres including drama, adventure, sci-fi, and action. Gambling movies have a large fan base that spans all corners of the globe. Anyone can enjoy a good gambling movie on a weekend and feel the thrill of it.
The 10 best gambling movies
Read More: Here Are 5 Lesser-Known Gaming Movies You Should Watch
10. Curves (1998)
Curves does an amazing job portraying the stupid masculinity of a professional poker player in the late 1990s. This movie makes the game world come true and stars Matt Damon and other actors like John Malkovich or Bill Camp. If you love to play poker, this movie is for you.
9. The card counter (2021)
Paul Schrader’s dark and tragic drama tells the story of a professional card player who moves from casino to casino in order to escape the guilt of his past. The film is much more entertaining than it looks and is very well written. While the acting scenes can feel out of place at times in relation to the theme of pain and guilt, they are essential to the energy of the film and give it a more lively tone.
8. Mississippi Grind (2015)
Demi Nelson Filmmakers Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck created this retro film about two players driving to New Orleans to hit the jackpot. This film has been hailed by critics as Ryan Reynolds’ best performance to date. He played Curtis, but you’ll have to see the movie to find out who it is. Mississippi Grind brings out the best of casino life with amazing acting.
7. Croupier (1998)
Although Clive Owen is not a great director, his genius in Croupier is something we cannot ignore. The film follows Jack, a struggling writer who is in desperate need of money. This prompts him to become a dealer to learn the intricacies of the casino game. The movie has some interesting twists that set it apart from the rest.
6. The Cincinnati Child (1965)
This movie is a scam of the scammer, but he focuses more on the poker than the scramble at billiards. It also features a classic performance by Steve McQueen. The Cincinnati Child is both relevant and current, which adds to its appeal.
5. Cheaters (1984)
It’s the greatest gaming movie you’ve probably ever seen. Barbet Schröder has created this bizarre but addicting thriller about a charming man who often visits the casino. This movie will keep you on your toes. When he meets a man, the film takes a turn. He recruits him to join a sophisticated cheat scheme that raises all the stakes. The film follows the characters as they unravel their plan, which ultimately leads to their deaths.
4. Hard Eight (1996)
Paul Thomas Anderson’s debut film (except for the short he directed) is extraordinary. This film is an in-depth look at a lonely, sad man who learns to survive and adapt in the underworld of Las Vegas by being humble until he meets people who make everything better. This film, even if it is less dramatic than the other films, is nonetheless very moving. It gives you a glimpse of Las Vegas that you wouldn’t normally notice.
3. Maverick (1994)
Maverick follows Bret Maverick’s journey as he tries to raise enough money to participate in a high stakes poker tournament. Based on a 1950s television series, the film was directed with Mel Gibson. It was both a commercial success and a critical success. The film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Costume Design.
2. Ocean’s 11 (2001)
Without Oceans, which casino movie list would be complete? Oceans 11 is a classic movie about a bunch of degenerates who plan to rob the Bellagio Casino in Las Vegas. It’s a popular favorite because it’s dramatic, funny, and action-packed.
This film stars George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Don Cheadle; among other big names. Oceans 11 is a classic film still popular today.
1. California Split (1974)
The cheeky charm of George Segal and Elliot Gould make them the perfect couple for this boyfriends flick that explores the friendship between two men. Add in some gaming, occasional mastery, and some weird characters that exist in this world, and you’ve got a movie about the game unlike any other. You don’t have to believe me, take a look!
Read more: Iconic films that can teach us how to be better players
Casino movies show the life of luxury, excitement and anticipation. They are a lot of fun to watch and that is why many directors continue to focus on making them. Which casino movie is your favorite?
What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages! And if you love to listen to movie podcasts, why not check out our podcasts, Small Screen Stories and Small Screen Film Club wherever you get your podcasts!