The January 2022 transfer window has closed, but there are still plenty of rumors floating around about who is going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, business done!
TOP STORY: Chelsea join race for Rice
Manchester United remain keen on signing a long-term target Declan Rice this summer, but they face new pressure from Chelsea, the club he supports, according to the Daily mail.
Sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson that West Ham United midfielder Rice is a summer target for United, who are preparing to live after Paul Pogba this summer, but the 23-year-old is said to be keen to see what level of interest, if any, exists at Chelsea.
West Ham are asking for £100m for their prized midfielder, and the England international is in high demand, with Manchester City also monitoring the situation.
Rice was released by Chelsea aged 14 and reportedly would like a return to west London, but the Blues would need to free up space in the squad, perhaps moving on. N’Golo Kantebefore you can make an offer.
Manchester United face a summer rebuild, but it’s not yet clear who their long-term manager will be after Ralf Rangnick’s interim move.
And the Reds’ uncertainty could work in Chelsea’s favour, if they can free up funds to land the player they once released.
1:25 p.m. GMT: New York City FC have announced the signing of defender Thiago Martins from Japanese club Yokohama F. Marinos.
The Brazilian defender joins NYCFC as a Designated Player ahead of the 2022 Major League Soccer season and has already joined his new club during their pre-season training camp in Cancun, Mexico.
Martins, 26, could be available for NYCFC’s CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 first leg tie against Santos de Guapiles on February 15, subject to visa approval.
Officially official 🖊
— New York FC (@NYCFC) February 7, 2022
12:37 GMT: RB Leipzig insist the striker Christophe Nkunku will still be at the club next season and has ruled out any further moves to Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich.
Nkunku has scored 18 goals and 13 assists in 30 appearances in all competitions this season. The 24-year-old has long been linked with interest from Arsenal, but Leipzig general manager Oliver Mintzlaff has said he plans to have the former PSG player on his books in 2022-23.
“He will also play with us next season because of course he is a very important player,” said Mintzlaff. Sky. “In football, nothing is ever certain, but that’s our plan.
“Of course, players like Dani Olmo, Nkunku or Andre Silva are very, very important pillars who can and must continue to develop with us…that we’re going to start the coming season with these players.”
Leipzig lost manager Julian Nagelsmann, captain Marcel Sabitzer and star defender Dayot Upamecano to Bayern last summer, but Mintzlaff said he no longer considers doing business with the Bavarian giants.
“We have now made so many deals with Bayern and let Julian Nagelsmann go for too little at $10m, so we definitely won’t be meeting for coffee.”
11:44 GMT: Brighton & Hove Albion have announced that technical director Dan Ashworth left “to take up a similar role at another Premier League club.“
Ashworth has been linked with a job at Newcastle, which was recently created by the club’s owners following the recent takeover of St James’ Park.
Brighton added that Ashworth, who joined the club in 2019 after six years with the English FA, will begin a period of gardening leave before taking up his new role.
10:53 GMT: Lille will discuss a possible transfer of Sven Botman at the end of the season after the defender was unable to sign for Newcastle United last month.
Dutch international Botman, 21, had been Newcastle’s main target to strengthen at centre-back but, after reigning Ligue 1 champions Lille blocked a move, the Premier League side instead signed Dan Burn of Brighton.
“Sven already had the opportunity to leave last summer,” said Lille president Olivier Letang. The Parisian. “I told him that he would not leave and that we would talk about it at the end of the season.
“He’s a great person and a top player who deserves to play for a club that can win the Champions League.
“If there is something that allows everyone to be satisfied next summer, we will discuss it. It is important to keep your commitments.”
09:58 GMT: There are still big differences between Barcelona and Gavi as the Catalan club attempt to tie the 17-year-old down to a new long-term deal at Camp Nou, according to Diario SPORT.
Talks have been ongoing since January but initial talks between Barca’s hierarchy and Gavi’s agent, former midfielder Ivan de la Pena, failed to lead to an agreement.
However, sources told ESPN last week that both parties were confident a deal would eventually be reached, with Barca sporting adviser Jordi Cruyff recently saying that tying the teenager to a new deal “is a priority. “.
Mundo Deportivomeanwhile, report that De la Pena will meet the club again this week with his client’s current deal in 2023.
Gavi, who scored in Sunday’s 4-2 win over Atletico Madrid, enjoyed a stellar debut season after making his debut under Ronald Koeman. He’s already a Barca and Spain regular and his side believe that should be reflected in his new contract.
08:53 GMT: Marc Overmars has resigned as Ajax director of football after multiple complaints from female colleagues about inappropriate messaging, the club confirmed on Sunday.
Former Barcelona and Arsenal star Overmars had been in the job at Ajax for nearly a decade and was recently linked with a move to Premier League side Newcastle United.
“A series of inappropriate messages sent to several female colleagues over an extended period underpins his decision to leave the club,” Ajax said in a statement.
Ajax supervisory board chairman Leen Meijaard added: “Marc is probably the best football manager Ajax have had. We improved and extended his contract for a reason. But, unfortunately, he has really overstepped the bounds, so continuing as director was not an option, as he admitted to himself. It is extremely painful for everyone. I want to express the wish that everyone involved has peace and peace. intimacy needed to process this.”
Overmars said: “I’m ashamed. Last week I was faced with reports of my behavior. And how it felt to others.
“Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I was crossing the line with this, but it has been made clear to me over the past few days. I suddenly felt enormous pressure. I apologise.
08:00 GMT: Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez told fans not to boo Ousmane Dembele after being mocked as he returned to the squad for Sunday’s thrilling 4-2 win over Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou (stream the replay on ESPN+ in the US).
Dembele hasn’t played for Barca since January 12 due to a failure to agree a new contract, with his terms in the summer, but Xavi said he would look to use him after failing to walk away of the club last month. .
The French winger was named on the bench against Atletico and remained an unused substitute as Barca moved into La Liga’s top four, but his name was whistled when read out before the match.
“The fans were 10 out of 10 and the support was brilliant throughout the match,” Xavi said in his post-match press conference. “But I would like them to support Ousmane too. I would ask them to stop booing him.”
PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)
– Sampdoria will sign Sebastien Giovinco as a free agent to replace the injured Manolo Gabbiadinireports Gianluca Di Marzio. The 35-year-old returns to Serie A from Canada, where he trained with former club Toronto FC.
– Flamengo hopes to secure Andreas Pereira on a permanent contract from Manchester United, reports Ekrem Konour. Pereira was loaned to the Brazilian side last summer and they have the option to make the deal permanent for a fee of £17m. Flamengo officials have traveled to Old Trafford to try and complete the move, but they hope they can strike a cheaper deal. Flamengo had previously submitted just £6.8m which United ignored.
– Boca Juniors is considering making an offer to Javier Pastor after refusing to extend his contract with Spanish side Elche, reports Ekrem Konour. The former Paris Saint-Germain, Roma and Palermo midfielder could be available for Boca’s Copa Libertadores campaign if he is successful in his quest.
– Antonio RudigerChelsea’s future at Chelsea continues to be shrouded in mystery with the Mirror reporting that the defender presented his wage demands. The newspaper says the Blues have offered the Germany international – who is out of contract this summer – £140,000-a-week, but is demanding £225,000-a-week.
– Carlos Tevez is in talks with DC United over a potential move to Major League Soccer after leaving Boca Juniors in the summer, according to the Jock. The former Manchester City striker has been offered a return to football by MLS, but it depends on whether the two sides can agree a financial deal.
– Liverpool are considering a move for the youngster from Le Havre Andy Elysee Logboa player dubbed “the next Romelu Lukaku” this summer, according to Footmercato. Jurgen Klopp is said to be keeping tabs on the 17-year-old striker, who comes from the same academy that developed players such as Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and Riyad Mahrez.