Former Dodger Dave Stewart livid about the handling of the Trevor Bauer case

0
31


SCOTTSDALE, Ariz .– The great Dave Stewart, furious at the Los Angeles Dodgers’ refusal to discipline starter Trevor Bauer until Major League Baseball put him on administrative leave on Friday, informed team officials that he will not be attending their 40th anniversary of the World Series championship.

Bauer received a temporary restraining order last week following a request from a 27-year-old woman who told Pasadena, Calif., Police that she was raped and assaulted by Bauer earlier this season. No charges have been laid as he is still under criminal investigation.

Bauer, through his lawyer Jon Fetterolf, has denied the allegations.

“The organization is not what it was when we were successful,” Stewart, a rookie relief pitcher for the 1981 World Series team, told USA TODAY Sports. “The Dodgers organization I grew up in under the O’Malley family would never put up with that. The Dodgers should have intervened in this situation, and they did not. You have to have character standards.

“I told them, ‘I can’t run for this.’ “

When Stewart informed the Dodgers that he would not be attending the July 25 celebration, he said he received an email that read: “The team and the player associations are supporting the player until the he is guilty.

Stewart said he replied in all capitals, “HE HAS BROUGHT THE UNWRITED RULE ON HOW TO TREAT WOMEN!”

Stewart, 64, who grew up with six sisters, said he was horrified when he saw photos of the woman’s request for a temporary restraining order that show her with two black eyes, one face badly scratched, a bloody lip and a swollen jaw.

It is USA TODAY Sports’ policy not to identify individuals who allege sex crimes without their permission.

The request for a temporary restraining order was filed Tuesday, the document was released to the public on Wednesday and the Dodgers announced Thursday that Bauer would pitch as scheduled on Sunday against the Washington Nationals.

The MLB on Friday placed Bauer on seven-day paid administrative leave. MLB is expected to submit a request to the Major League Baseball Players Association to extend the leave by an additional seven days in accordance with the terms of the collective agreement.

The Dodgers say they were waiting for MLB to make a decision, but Stewart said the Dodgers should have acted first and suspended Bauer. There is recent precedent for such action. Cleveland put starting pitchers Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac on the shortlist in August when they broke team rules by leaving their hotel and risking exposure to the COVID-19 virus. The Washington Nationals suspended closest Jonathan Papelbon for four games for starting a fight with outfielder Bryce Harper in 2015.

“The Dodgers let the MLB apply the leave,” said Stewart, “but in my opinion you don’t have to wait for the MLB to tell you what to do. Why are you getting your hands on a woman like this? way? He’s trying to say it was consensual, but what kind of person would do that? “

Fetterolf said in a statement last week that Bauer’s encounters with the woman were “entirely consensual.”

“Its basis for filing a protection order is non-existent, fraudulent and willfully omits key facts, information and its own relevant communications,” Fetterolf said. “Any allegations that the couple’s dating was not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

A Los Angeles County Superior Court hearing is scheduled for July 23, when Bauer can formally challenge the allegations.

Pasadena Police have been investigating the case for six weeks and told USA TODAY Sports on Friday the survey is “bigger than we thought”, according to Lieutenant Carolyn Gordon.

Bauer, 30, signed a three-year, $ 102 million free agent contract in February with the Dodgers, and is the highest-paid baseball player this year with his $ 40 million guarantee. He will be paid while on administrative leave, but not if suspended by MLB.

“I know they owe him a lot of money, but the good thing is to distance yourself from this guy,” said Stewart. “I don’t want him in my clubhouse. If you’re a teammate, you can’t support him. And if you’re a supporting teammate, what do you stand for?

“If it hadn’t been for his contract, he would have left. But even with the money they owe him, you can’t let him play for you and act like nothing has happened. You just can’t. “

Stewart says he discussed his reason for not attending the ceremony with only a few of his closest friends. Former teammate Davey Lopes won’t be attending the ceremony either, but for a multitude of reasons. Stewart isn’t trying to discourage anyone else from going, but in his heart he knows he can’t walk into Dodger Stadium and represent the organization.

“I was really looking forward to it too,” said Stewart, a three-time World Series champion and four-time 20-game winner, who went on to become the San Diego Padres’ pitching coach and general manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks. . “It would have been great to see all of my former teammates from my first World Series team. And even if Tommy Lasorda wouldn’t have been there, it would have been great to hear his name and see what they would do for him.

“It has been an honor to play for the Dodgers. It was such a special organization. I mean, families were still allowed to travel on the team’s plane. The kids were running around the clubhouse like it was Disneyland. It was the tradition of the Dodgers. They represented character. “

Follow Nightengale on Twitter @Bnightengale.





Source link